I finally got quaternion Julia sets rendering! I've never actually made one before, so I'm quite happy I have at least something. I'll attach some screenshots below. FYI, these are just crude renderings of the depth buffer from ray casting.
So where do I go now? Well, I follow the course outlined on my Project[Chaos] page. But here's a list of the short term goals and tasks, in order:
- Add a few more fractal types (maybe one or two more 3D ones).
- Refactor and revise the existing fractals (right now I'm just getting them to work, this step will focus on improving each one's design).
- Refactor again to give each fractal a common interface.
- Multithread the processing.
- Create a plugin architecture and connect fractal parameters to the GUI.
- Check overall progress and make new short term goals.
And as a side note, I came across a new site that's really cool. subblue has some fantastic fractal renderings and animations, so if you've got a moment I suggest you explore there a bit!